- This event has passed.
Call to action 2020
January 1, 2020 - December 31, 2020
All people with Down syndrome should have full participation in decision making about matters relating to or affecting their lives.
Effective and meaningful participation is a core human rights principle supported by the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD).
The reality today
The reality today is that prevailing negative attitudes, low expectations, discrimination and exclusion, ensure that people with Down syndrome are left behind and do not have opportunities to participate fully in decision making about matters relating to or affecting their lives at all levels. This occurs in society, but also within the disability community and the Down syndrome community.
At the root of this discrimination and exclusion is a lack of understanding of the challenges individuals face across their lifetimes and a failure to support them with the opportunities and tools needed to participate meaningfully.
Across areas of life such as lifelong personal development, personal relationships, education, healthcare, work and livelihood, recreation and leisure and participation in public life, ALL people with Down syndrome must participate in decision making, included on a full and equal basis with others.
People with Down syndrome and those who support and work with them must be empowered to advocate for effective and meaningful participation.
They can then reach out to other key stakeholders including education, health and social care professionals, employers, community and public bodies, media and the wider community to ensure they understand how to provide these opportunities and encourage these stakeholders to disseminate this message to bring about change.
What you can do
On World Down Syndrome Day, Saturday 21 March 2020, we called upon every person with Down syndrome to tell the world “we decide”.
This campaign was integrated into all of DSi’s WDSD 2020 activities and we encouraged everyone around the world to do the same.
You can help to spread the message:
- Lots of people made videos to share with the world – you can watch them and share them with your friends – WDSD videos 2020;
- For the first time we held a virtual WDSD Conference giving people with Down syndrome an opportunity to speak up on the theme “We Decide” – you can watch the videos to learn about inclusive participation and share the messages;
- You can purchase #LotsOfSocks to support the work of Down Syndrome International and the work they do for people with Down syndrome around the world – WDSD merchandise
- Follow, like and share the posts from Down Syndrome International and our National Members from around the world on social media
Facebook World Down Syndrome Day
Twitter World Down Syndrome Day
Instagram World Down Syndrome Day
- Look out for these hashtags and use them when you post too
#WeDecide #WorldDownSyndromeDay #LotsOfSocks
Please contact our International Office if you have any queries.