- This event has passed.
Exmouth Does World Down Syndrome Day
March 21, 2020
It is with deep regret that Down Syndrome International announces today the postponement of the following event:
What: Exmouth Does World Down Syndrome Day event #ExmouthDoesWDSD
When: Saturday 21st March 2020
Where: Ocean Suite at Ocean, Queen’s Drive, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Reasons for cancellation
Down Syndrome International has made the decision to postpone our event following extensive discussions and after carrying out a risk assessment.
Factors which have influenced our decision include:
- The remote, but potentially high impact risk of our guests contracting COVID-19 as a result of attending the event, keeping in mind that some guests might be more vulnerable to the virus on age or health grounds;
- The possibility that the UK Government or local authorities might make decisions at a later time this week which would effectively force the postponement of our event, following further resource commitment from DSi in the intervening period;
- The possibility that our guests might make their own personal decisions not to attend the event, thereby reducing the ability of our event to achieve its aims.
We recognise that this decision will be very disappointing for our guests, as indeed it is for DSi. However, we hope that everyone involved will understand that these are exceptional circumstances beyond our control.
DSi would very much like to reschedule the event to a later time in 2020, as soon as it is safe to go ahead. While the event would not be taking place on World Down Syndrome Day, we very much hope our guests would agree we can all take part in the spirit of WDSD! We will keep all of our guests updated as and when we can consider holding the event.
What we can do together instead on 21st March
We want to keep spirits high and come together in some way on 21st March. So, whatever you plan to do instead…before, on or after the day…whether it is showing off your socks, delivering a video message on social media, eating cake etc…please share whatever you are doing with us using the hashtag:
Please consider doing this online, on social media:
Even by emailing us firstname.lastname@example.org. DSi can then take all of your great content and look to put it together to release something after 21st March to mark the event virtually.
Support DSi and our charity partners
You may be aware that WDSD activities and events are being postponed or cancelled everywhere due to the COVID-19 situation. This includes fundraising opportunities and it is likely that charities will lose vital funds.
Therefore we would like to make an appeal to the generosity of our #ExmouthDoesWDSD guests for any donation you feel able to make to support the 3 charities associated with this event – Down Syndrome International, Down’s Syndrome Association and Exeter and East Devon Support Group.
To donate, please do so at DSi’s Global Support Campaign page by:
- Clicking on this link Global Support Campaign and the Donate button;
- Make sure you put the hashtag #ExmouthDoesWDSD via the comments field when donating;
- We will share these donations equally between the 3 organisations.