March 21 is the Vernal Equinox and beginning of spring, the day Iranians and many neighboring cultures have been...
World Down Syndrome Day-2014 has been observed for the first time in Bangladesh - Bangladesh
Japan Bangladesh Friendship Hospital, Robi Axiata Limited and AMDA Bangladesh have jointly observed World Down Syndrome Day on 21st March, 2014
Japan Bangladesh Friendship Hospital and AMDA Bangladesh have taken a joint initiatives to establish ‘Down Syndrome Parents Support Group Bangladesh’ which aims to serve as a platform for children born with Down syndrome and their parents to assist them in special needs advocacy, education, employment and social inclusion.
Down syndrome is not a birth defect. It is, rather, a blessing. Children born with the condition have unique talents that are not acknowledged. To create massive awareness on Down syndrome issues and to observe the World Down Syndrome Day, in line with the UN Declaration, Japan Bangladesh Friendship Hospital, Robi Axiata Limited and AMDA Bangladesh along with other organizations have jointly celebrated the important event on 21st March, 2014. This is the first time in Bangladesh that such a day has been observed, whereas, all over the world, March 2014 marks the 9th anniversary of World Down Syndrome Day.
This year the theme of World Down Syndrome Day is: “Health and Wellbeing –Access and Equality for All.” All people with Down syndrome have the right to access healthcare when required on an equal basis with others without discrimination and with proper assessment of the specific health needs of the individual.
Various programs had been undertaken to observe the day:
- Free health check up and counseling: Specialist doctors of different discipline have advised 160 Down syndrome children and adolescent, distributed Health Books and discount Health Card for Lifelong.
- Workshop/Seminar: Awareness raising on Down syndrome issues in Bangladesh
- Colorful Rally (160 Down syndrome children and their parents along with 300 volunteer from different college and Universities have organized a colorful rally)
- Buddy Cycling (50 Volunteers engaged for the promotion of awareness on Down syndrome)
- WDSD Global Video Events presentation (Bangladesh was included for the first time in Global Video Events in 2014)
- Television Talk Show (addressing World Down Syndrome Day issues)
- Flash Mob on the Theme of ICC World Twenty 20 (Volunteers along with Down syndrome Children).
The honorable National Professors Prof. Dr. M. R. Khan has graced the occasion as the Chief Guest. Renowned medical professionals, media personnel, celebrities, journalists, doctors have joined the event as the special guest.
There was News in Dhaka Tribune prior to the celebration of World Down Syndrome Day-2014 in Bangladesh
An Exclusive Stethoscope Feature on Down syndrome (Health and Medical Journal of the Independent, a renowned English Newspaper of Bangladesh)...Please have a look in to the Pages-7-9 of the Journal...Get know the story...
World Down Syndrome Day-2014 observed in Bangladesh...All most all Newspapers, electronic Medias have covered the news to promote Down Syndrome awareness...
World Down Syndrome Day-2014 was observed...A Talk Show on Television Channel-I...
World Down Syndrome Day-2014 has been observed for the first time in Bangladesh...Please check it out...All Media coverage was wonderful...Encouraging...